Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Red-tailed Hawks, Moose and Squirrel

I posted yesterday on my Facebook page about constantly seeing red-tailed hawks this week.

I saw one on back-to-back days walking in between tall buildings where I work, as it called to me and circled high overhead before sailing off into the distance. And then, on subsequent mornings at home, one has been loudly talking to me as I walk to my car in the parking lot by my house.

Knowing that birds portend certain meaning in Native cultures, I looked up the significance. In my FB post, I summarized it as "Messengers of the divine gifts being brought to me."

My friend Carl took it to another level:
Steven Farmer sees them as having a serious message: "You’re caught up in too many details, so step back so you can get a greater perspective on the situation. Stay alert and focused on the task before you, eliminating as many distractions as possible. Spend some time observing and studying the situation, and when it’s time for action, make it quick and decisive. Pay close attention to your surroundings, as you’re about to receive an important message. Be aware of any personal or psychic attacks, and be prepared to defend yourself. Stop trying to change others or the situation, and work instead on accepting things as they are."
Drop the mic. Boom.

I had also posted a few days ago one of my favorite quotes from the Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoon; "Eenie meenie, chili beanie, the spirits are about to speak! Are they friendly spirits? Just listen!"

Four days to go until the Good Graces tour. Most tasks are complete save for final packing, loading up the van, and hitting the road. Practicing is rapidly becoming counter-productive. Checklists have been double-checked for the 18th time. Not really enough time left to change things. Guess it is time to let go, let things happen, and enjoy the moments.

I find myself standing in this vortex, so much energy spinning around, like standing in a river and holding on to shore, bracing against the flow. I realize how exhausting it has been to keep expectations and profiles low, deflect congratulations, remain humble, and generally act like nothing has changed.

And while I truly believe that I had little to do with my good fortune, beyond just being myself, doing my thing, and showing up for day-to-day life, I am acutely aware I am a recipient of and conduit for what ever is going on and what ever important messages are being relayed.

So, finally time to let go of shore and float down this stream. This dream.

No comments: